tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 23 07:40:47 1995

Re: More on "Which?"

>Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 03:47:03 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>The more I think about this problem, the better I like the suggestion of
><nuqDIch>.  This seems [to me] particularly appropriate when asking which of
>a number of things might be chosen.

>Still, I wish to being up another construction:

>targhmey nuq targh Daje' DaneH
>= Which targ are you going to buy?

>Here we see redundancy being employed to indicate the question:  which?  In
>that Klingons have a tendency to "clip" almost as much as they can get away
>with, <targhmey> will often get dropped, leaving:

>nuq targh Daj' DaneH

As I said, I have my doubts about <nuqDIch>, being a numeric-oriented
suffix attached to a non-numeric question-word.  But it's cerftainly
possible.  "targhmey nuq" or "targh nuq" is the construction I personally
favor.  I don't see, though, how clipping "targhmey nuq" can yield "nuq
targh".  That's not a clip; that's a transposition (something we really
don't have evidence for).

>Is this going to cause problems?  Now we have a noun-noun construct <nuq
>targh>.  Does this mean "targ of what" or "what targ," quite literally in
>that order.

I don't see much support for "nuq targh" from a semantic perspective, so
long as it's considered a noun-noun construction.  If you're using
noun-noun logic, "targh[mey] nuq" makes MUCH more sense.  Using "nuq targh"
implies that you're re-interpreting "nuq" as something that acts like a
numeral (as in "?nuqDIch"?), since numerals precede the noun.

Once more, with feeling.  To me, "nuq targh" means "the targh of what,"
whatever that means, while "targh[mey] nuq" means "what of the targh[s],"
which might be restricted idiomatically to the meaning "which targh."
"?nuqDIch" doesn't work for me, since I don't see "nuq" as being numeric.
These are my opinions, not necessarily Okrand's, but then you asked for
opinions, didn't you?

I hope this helps answer what you wanted to know.

~mark

Back to archive top level