tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 18 09:52:23 1995

Re: How to transliterate Beowulf...

> ghItlhta' David E G Sturm:
>
> <...SnIp...>
>
> >So for shortness' sake, how's {*be'wuv} look?
>
> <*be'wuv>lIj Hos law' <*B'awulv>wIj HoS pus
>

> Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

  I thought *Beyowulve myself.  I was trying to avoid introducing
glottal stops into OE names as too foreign.  But the more I think about
it, the more *be'wuv appeals to me as a short and precise
transliteration of Beowulf.
  And Fek'lhr take anyone who would claim that it means 'a dependable
woman'!

 --
 Life is short,                            [email protected]
 ...so am I.

Back to archive top level