tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 17 13:54:54 1995

Re: That's my name, don't use it up.

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >From: [email protected]
>
> >r'Hul = roll the r and suddenly stop, "hech" the H and blend it into the
> ><ul>.  Use a lot of phlegm.  This is based on the Russian "Ruchelle", a
> >variation of Rachel. (There, now you know my secret identity.{{:-)   >)
> >There is no "u as in uh" in tlhIngan Hol, but "uh" is a glottal stop.
> >That's why I used it.
>
> Tricky.  Basically using "r" as vowel, before the consonant '.  Since I do
> a lousy job trilling my r's anyway, I can't do much with this.  Near as I
> can see, it would tend to wind up sounding like "rI'Hul", much as the
> Sanskrit vocalic .r is generally pronounced rI.

I agree with ~mark and would use something like {rI'Hul}.

> As to Ruchelle, if you mean like what you hear in Fiddler on the Roof, yes,
> that's a diminuative of "Rachel" from Hebrew "raHel" (accent on the last
> syllable), re-stressed in Yiddish to have initial stress, whereupon the
> second vowel degraded and the first one changed to more like "u", plus the
> usual Yiddish second-order diminuative -(el)e used on names (Dovele,
> Chavale, Rifkele, etc).

"Rachel" in Russian is <RaHil'>.  (Here the (') is not a glottal stop, it
means the "l" is palatalized.)  As ~mark said, "Ruchelle" is probably
Yiddish.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level