tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 16 11:32:18 1995

Re: bInep! Re: Beowulf

jatlhta' Soqra'tIS:

> bIjatlh 'e' yImev!!!!! bInep petaQ *pethew*

jInepbe' ! mInDu'lIj tIpoSmoH :

> Sacrilege! Have you asked yourself "How great a warrior THAT king must be
> to have lived so long?". Do you not realize that a WISE ruler does not
> squander his resources. Is it not glorious that HIS troop hold him in such
> HIGH HONOR?

Hrothgar *used to be* a great warrior. If he cannot out-fight Grendel,
and cannot come up with any strategy against him in *twelve years*, he
is no longer fit to be king.  In fact, as I re-read the story, the only
reason he seems to still BE king, is that none of his thanes are fit to
replace him.

> You call his men cowards because they have not challenged him?

When Beowulf becomes their king, and goes out to fight the dragon,
more than a dozen of these same warriors drop their weapons and
run away! Even the writer of the story is disgusted with them!

Do not mistake me. Beowulf is a great warrior, and his deeds deserve
to be honored.  But Hrothgar and his men do NOT deserve the same.
THEY are the petaQmey, and it is a sign of Beowulf's honor that he
is willing to fight their battles for them. This needs to be made
clear when the epic is translated back into Klingon.

L. Purple ([email protected])

Back to archive top level