tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 15 21:26:02 1995

Re: Beowulf

On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Andrew wrote:

> Hi there!
>   I've been reading this group for a while now and I though it was about
> time to contribute something.  I dont know if anyone here has studied
> Old English poetry so I sat down and translated the first twenty lines
> of Beowulf (ghItlh Beyowulve) as a challange for myself.  Comments
> please, I do not think the grammar is entirely without improvement. If
> there is any interest in the rest of the poem I have a total of 3182
> lines to translate.  I hope the gist of it will be understood without a
> translation into modern English.
>
>   toH!  jaj tIQ HoS qumwI'pu' la'mey *Dene-mo' DIQoypu', toDuj luqeqbogh
> joHpu'vetlh tIgh'e'.

"We really hear them because of *Dene of the commanders scattered about of
the governors of power of the ancient day, the custom of those lords
which practice bravery."

>   pIj qaS jaghpu'vo' quSmey HIq nge' *SIlDe Seyving, qaS Sungpu'vo';

"It often occurs; *SIlDe SeyvIng takes away the liquor of the chairs from
the enemies, from the natives it happens."

> *'erol HajmoH, wa'logh pagh ghajbogh lutu'lu'DI';

"It made *'erol dread; once when one finds (_) has nothing"

> vaj pop noblu':

"in that case a reward is given"

> logh bIng qanmoH, batlhvaD chep, lobnISpa' Hoch ba'wI'pu' pa' bIQ'a' Hur,
> ghaHDaq van lunob: la'quv QaQ loDvetlh!

"It causes the area under the space to be old, it prospers for the honor,
before the ones who sit of all need to obey, outside the ocean
thereabouts, they give a salute on him/her:  that man of the good supreme
commander."

I'll stop here.  The next sentence definitely has some misplaced syntactic
markers.  I'm afraid that either something must have gotten lost in
translation or we need to work on your grammar; I'm finding this to be
incomprehensible.  I suspect there are some serious word order and syntax
problems here.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the original to
compare to in order to find out what this is supposed to say.

I think it is a worthwhile project to translate this epic into Klingon.
I think this story is one that Klingons would relate to and enjoy.  I
suggest you write the (modern) English translation along with this and
then we'll see how this can be translated in Klingon.

> vaj bo'DIjDaq Qup'e' bogh
> puqloD loDvetlhvaD, popvaD ngeHpu'bogh joH'a', Seng'a'mo' legh, wa'logh
> poH nI'vaD la'quv ghajbe'bogh SIQ; ghaHvaD quv qo' nob joh'a' yIn,
> che'wI' batlh; noy *beyo - noyqu' batlh puq SIlDe, *SeDen-Daq. Vaj
> QaQnISmoH loD Qup, nobmey mIp'e', QorghtaHvis vav, poH ghoSDI' veS QaH
> juppu'vam QaQqu', qumwi'chaj toy'jaj 'e'; chepnIS loD Qapmeyvo'.
>
> Wes hal! yIpIv!
> Andrew.

This phrase I understand.  Wassail!  yIpIv je.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level