tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 15 08:09:16 1995

Re: tlhIngan name for Elizabeth

>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 23:56:03 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>This is not intended to be argumentative, but the name Elizabeth translates
>directly from the Hebrew as "Lively in the house."  The two parts of the name
>of the mother of John (the Baptist) are "Aliza" and "Beth."

Hmm.  I always thought "Elizabeth" was an anglicization of "'elisheva`",
wuth the second element "sheva`", nothing to do with houses.  I can't
remember if that's spelled with an `ayin or an 'aleph at the beginning
('aleph would make sense for the "God" reading).

~mark

Back to archive top level