tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 08 20:25:24 1995

Re: leSpoH'a' wa'mah Soch

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995 [email protected] wrote:

>      qep'a' vISuchbe'. {{:-(  >  leSpoH vIghajQo'.  Huch vIghajQo'.

You don't want to use {-Qo'} here.  When used with basic
(non-imperative) verb prefixes, it is commonly translated as "won't" and
denotes refusal:
leSpoH vIghajQo'.  (I won't have shore leave; I refuse to have shore leave.)
Huch vIghajQo'.  (I won't have money; I refuse to have money.)

{-Qo'} means "don't" when used with imperative verb prefixes to tell
someone not to do something:
yIruchQo'.  (Don't do it.)
yImejQo'.  (Don't leave.)

In this case, you probably want to use {-be'} which the general suffix
for negation:
leSpoH vIghajbe'.  (I don't have shore leave.)
Huch vIghajbe'.  (I don't have money.)

>      leSpoH'a' wa'maH Soch Such'a' vay'?

Is "great shore leave 17" a convention?

>      (The rest is in English cause I need to use future tenses, and I'm not
>      comfortable enough in tlhIngan Hol to try it.)

Klingon verbs do not indicate past, present or future tense.  To indicate
an action taking place in the future, you simply indicate the time or
use an adverbial.

tugh SoSwI' vISuch.  (I will visit my mother soon.)
cha'leS SoSwI' vISuch.  (I will visit my mother the day after tomorrow.)
qaSDI' jar javDIch jaj wa'maHDIch SoSwI' vISuch.  (I will visit my mother
on the 10th day of the 6th month.)

>      r'Hul

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level