tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 07 10:19:18 1995

Re: The meaning of taH was Re: petaQ was Re: Staff Writers and their tlhIngan Holqoq

According to David E G Sturm:

> Hey, I forgot to say one thing....
>
> be' taH.  (two words)
>
> Is a legal sentence, not that we know what it means.  If I hadn't been so
> busy griping about trying to interpret {be'taH}, I'd have noticed it.
> Shame on all of us...

I didn't miss it. I mentioned it in my first response to this
mess.

> Now, what it would mean that
>
> The woman is at a negative angle.

Well, if you reverse the word order, it might mean that, but as
it is, it is NOT a sentence, but instead is a noun with an
adjectival verb following it. It becomes somewhat difficult to
render into Engish. Consider that {tIn be'} means "The woman is
big" while {be' tIn} means "The big woman". Given that {taH
be'} might mean, "The woman is at a negative angle" (though it
probably means "The woman endures/continues."). So I suppose
{be' taH} would mean something like "The negatively angled
woman". This is not a sentence. It is not even a particularly
interesting phrase. It's just two arbitrarily selected
syllables placed mistakenly next to one another with an
unjustifiable effort made at extracting some meaningqoq for it.

> Is indeed *ripe* for speculation....  SCATOLOGICAL REFERNCE WARNING

[sigh]

I think the threshold for this sort of thing should be that if
you don't have the cahunas to say it in Klingon, don't bother
saying it. I suspect the women on this list might find this
level of objectificiation displeasing. Do you really want to
displease a Klingon woman?

Hmmm. Maybe you are braver than I thought.

> David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager            operate in a vacuum, may
> Wake Forest University Department of Physics   I at least have a little
> 7507 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \