tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 07 09:35:23 1995

Re: Staff Writers and their tlhIngan Holqoq

     On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 Heidi Wessman said:

     >On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
     >
     >> A woman at a negative angle makes me think
     >> of someone lying on a situp-bench, with her head below her feet.
     >> Um, maybe that does indicate something in Klingon culture, but it
     >> doesn't seem to me that a throwaway line in an episode is the way
     >> to tell us that.
     >
     >Hmmmm... Maybe it's a "clever" way of saying...
     >
     >Well, it looks like it could allude to all sorts of nasty terms
     >sometimes applied to women of loose morals. Staff writers (and some
     >triggers) are notorious for making up words to explain
     >untranslatables.
     >
     >Hmmmm... a woman at a negative angle... sound potentially insulting
     >to me, depending on the insinuation.

     >chuQun, completely vertical.

     Another meaning could be gotten from the context.  I was thinking that
     <be'taH> might mean "less than a woman".  A definite insult from a
     full Klingon to a pitiful Terran.  But I really dislike this usage.

     r'Hul, completely vertical, unfortunately.{{;-)  >

Back to archive top level