tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 06 18:35:28 1995

Invent Your Own Klingon Dialect

Here's your chance to create your own Klingon language or dialect, perhaps
spoken by Klingons on a forgotten outpost from an ancient war or the private
language of a noble family.  Or you can postulate what the Klingon language
might look like a thousand years more into the future.  To learn more, check out
the latest issue of _Model Languages_.

_Model Languages_ is a free electronic newsletter published monthly and
providing detailed articles about different aspects of model, or constructed,
languages.   Since sometimes creating a model language can seem overwhelming,
the June issue provides detailed instructions on how you can create a simple
language for creating names in just an hour or two.  The issue discusses
language change, how you can use an ancestral tongue (like thlingan) to create
your own language, the basics of sound and sound change, and the 150 words that
can be used to generate millions of names for people and places.  The issue
concludes by giving three small model languages as an example.  Additionally,
we're having a contest where we are asking people to submit their own language
or languages for coining names, and we'll be publishing the winner in a future
issue.

To subscribe, send a message with the text "SUBSCRIBE MODLANG KL1 [your name]"
in the subject header to [email protected].  To retrieve just the latest
issue, send a message with the text "RETRIEVE MODLANG
2" in the header.

Regards,
Jeffrey Henning
Editor, _Model Languages_