tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 27 19:07:18 1995

RE: KLBC: for January 25th

According to "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
> I think once one writes at this level, KLBC becomes an
> inappropriate Subject Header. This is very well done.

choquvmoHneS!  qatlho'.

> 'ach yIHoy mach, bImobbe'bejtaH
> chaq lo'laHbe' leSSov 'e' Datob:
> lujlaH nabmey nIvqu''e' chenmoHbogh yIHmey loDpu' je
> 'ej ma'IQqu' 'ej ma'oy'qu' maHvaD Qapla' lay'lu'DI'.
>
> I think mine perhaps fits the meaning a little more tightly
> (adjusting for "Succcess" meaning to a Klingon what "Joy" means
> to a human) while yours is undoubtably a better poetic match
> for the meter.

I like your translation very much.  You caught the essence of the third
line much better than mine.  "maHvaD Qapla' lay'lu'DI'" is very good, I
didn't even think about using a -lu' construction.
I thought about trying to convert the concepts as well as the words, but
decided against it since I was translating from Scot and not writing an
original work in tlhIngan Hol.
Why did you choose the -oy suffix in the first line?  "Mousie" would
seem to be a diminutive of mouse instead of a term of endearment.
Perhaps if I called my mate yIHoy it would be appropriate, however I
would certainly be seriously injured.

Back to archive top level