tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 17:41:54 1995

Re: About {pong}

sorry about the last message.... something screwed up the connection and
sent the message for me.  here it is again.... hopefully as i intended
originally to send....

On Sun, 22 Jan 1995, HoD trI'Qal wrote:

> > On Sat, 21 Jan 1995, HoD trI'Qal wrote:
> > > recipient of the sentence (Just as if I said "I give the god a bone"...

> > hrm.... somehow i doubt that was intentional, but damned i wish it was!!!

> I assure you, it was not. Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.

'ach HeghtaHvIS pagh SuvwI'... qoH jIHbe'.  'ach Doch tlhaQ vIHagh.

> > looks good to me... personally i find it more a matter of style than
> > anything else.  whether i say <naQ'avwI' mupong tlhInganpu'> or
> > <jIHvaD *Silauren* lupong *elf*pu'> seems to me to amount to the same
> > thing:  a construction that should make sense to nearly any <tlhIngan
> > jatlhwI'>, telling them that certain people know me by certain names.
> > *shrug*

> The only problem with charghwI's recasting is when the both the subject
> and the object need to be explicity stated, as well as the name.  For
> example, how would you say, "The warrior named his son qeylIS"?  Using
> charghwI's method, you can't.  This way, you can:
>
> 	puqloDDajvaD qeylIS pongta' SuvwI'

yeah, i agree with you here... so if you're using this particular kind of
sentence, use the "-vaD + pong" construction instead of the "no-vaD"
construction.  *shrug*  the "no-vaD" construction can work for some
translations and not for others, depending on what is being said.  so
just use common sense to determine which you would want to use in a
particular situation.

> See what I mean?

qayaj.

> --HoD trI'Qal

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level