tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 04:51:22 1995

Re: verbs and nouns

ghItlhpu' Guido:

> charghwI'vo':
>
> >I don't know of any polysyllobic verb stems in Klingon. There
> >are many polysyllabic nouns and chuvmey, but verb stems are
> >always monosyllabic.
>
> Actually, don't forget about {HoSghaj}, {ghIpDIj}, and {He'So'}. These are
> the three polysyllabic verbs I'm aware of. I'm not sure whether there's more,
> but I doubt it.

As charghwI' mentioned in the rest of his post, most of the polysyllabic verbs
are not bare verb stems, they are compound. {HoSghaj} is a combination of
{ghaj}, a simple verb, and {HoS}, in this case the noun. {He'So'} would seem to
be taken from {He'}. {ghIpDIj}, a true exception, is probably unique because of
its signifigance in Klingon culture.

> Guido

tlhIyQa
vIchopbe' tutlhobbe'chugh ;)