tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 19:07:58 1995

Re: verbs and nouns

>> Actually, don't forget about {HoSghaj}, {ghIpDIj}, and {He'So'}. These are
>> the three polysyllabic verbs I'm aware of. I'm not sure whether there's
more,
>> but I doubt it.

>As charghwI' mentioned in the rest of his post, most of the polysyllabic
verbs
>are not bare verb stems, they are compound. {HoSghaj} is a combination of
>{ghaj}, a simple verb, and {HoS}, in this case the noun. {He'So'} would seem
>be taken from {He'}. {ghIpDIj}, a true exception, is probably unique because
of
>its signifigance in Klingon culture.

I don't recall that from his post at all. He wouldn't have said that, because
there are no such 'compound verb' rules. We must treat polysyllabic verbs as
verb stems, just as we treat such words like {mongDech} as a stem because
it's not legit as a noun compound. It must be a noun stem. What charghwI'
really said is that a lot of verbs listed in TKD that are polysyllabic
because they are a verb + suffix, like {ja'chuq} or {yonmoH}.

>tlhIyQa
>vIchopbe' tutlhobbe'chugh ;)

vay' DachopmeH DawIvlaH SoH'e'. jIH'e', jISaHbe'. ram ghu', potlh
Dachopbe'chugh je.

ghuy'Do

Back to archive top level