tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 04:09:26 1995

Re: verbs and nouns

charghwI'vo':

>I don't know of any polysyllobic verb stems in Klingon. There
>are many polysyllabic nouns and chuvmey, but verb stems are
>always monosyllabic.

Actually, don't forget about {HoSghaj}, {ghIpDIj}, and {He'So'}. These are
the three polysyllabic verbs I'm aware of. I'm not sure whether there's more,
but I doubt it.

Anyways, listen to charghwI', beginners. He's speaks useful words. If you
know what the suffixes and prefixes look like, then when you look at a word,
you can extract the noun or verb stem and pick apart the affixes and thereby
figure out the meaning. It's a lot easier than scouring the affix tables on
pgs.162-'8.

Guido

Back to archive top level