tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 13 15:47:30 1995

Re: Conversational Klingon

According to Niall Hosking:

> I' ve been working on a transcript Of Conversational Klingon, the first
> audio cassette. Does anyone have any idea what is being said? I can make
> most of it out, except the beginning, and i have something like this:

This is translated on the card that came with my
"glitter-globe" model of the Klingon bird of prey. From reading
the English translation and listening to the Klingon, I was
able to figure this out.

> tujqu'choH QoH			??? is getting very hot

The second word is {QuQ}, or "engines". "The engines are
overheating."

> nughoS jaH			they are coming towards us

The second word is {jagh}. "The enemy is approaching."

> chay' jura'			What are your orders?
>
> Qu'vatlh			#?!@
>
> maj maHegh. cha yIghuS!		We will die well. Ready torpedoes!

That's {batlh maHegh.} "We will die with honor!"

> So'wI' yIchu'Ha'		Disengage cloaking device!
>
> baH!				Fire!
>
> bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh. tlhIngan maH!
>
> 				Surrendur or die! We are Klingons!
>
> can anyone help with the first two sentences?
>
> --
> Niall Hosking

Nice job, considering that you had no written materials to work
with at all.

charghwI'
--

 \___