tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 09 06:41:41 1995

Re: TKD3 & other expansions w...

On Sun, 8 Jan 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jan 1995 [email protected] wrote:
>>I'm not as read up on Esp history as perhaps I'd like to be, but if it was
>>the case that Zamenhof let his creation loose to public domain, I'm wondering
>>what central power maintained a unity of the language, ie, what kept it from
>>diverging into numerous idiodialects. This would be likely to happen because
>>one person may devise a word or construction for something, and another may
>>devise another for the same thing. Such a process may be even more disastrous
>>among Klingonists if there are those who want to devise new grammar.
>
>In the early history of Esperanto, there were many proposals to reform the
>language.  One proposal, Ido, resulted in a major schism between
>conservative Esperantists and reformers which lasted decades.  In 1908,
>the Universal Esperanto Association was created to form a strong
>organization to counter the threat of further schisms.

perhaps something the KLI can get from paramount is the authority to make
further changes (additional vocabulary and/or grammar) in the klingon
language.  while i don't see this as an immediate problem (i'm patient; i
can wait for okrand to give more information), well, it will be necessary
at some point to have a more expansive vocabulary.  i can see the above
as an example to be followed here:  not one person making the changes,
but neither should there be 10,000 people all doing different things.  if
the KLI can act as a committee for the expansion of <tlhIngan Hol>, then
i can be comfortable that it will make the changes needed, not those that
are desired by the speakers.

>>Guido
>yoDtargh

just my $.02 worth.....
--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level