tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 08 13:48:46 1995

Re: TKD3 & other expansions w...

On Sun, 8 Jan 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> I'm not as read up on Esp history as perhaps I'd like to be, but if it was
> the case that Zamenhof let his creation loose to public domain, I'm wondering
> what central power maintained a unity of the language, ie, what kept it from
> diverging into numerous idiodialects. This would be likely to happen because
> one person may devise a word or construction for something, and another may
> devise another for the same thing. Such a process may be even more disastrous
> among Klingonists if there are those who want to devise new grammar.

In the early history of Esperanto, there were many proposals to reform the
language.  One proposal, Ido, resulted in a major schism between
conservative Esperantists and reformers which lasted decades.  In 1908,
the Universal Esperanto Association was created to form a strong
organization to counter the threat of further schisms.

> Guido

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level