tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 07 08:56:20 1995

Re: <ghep>: word in itself?

>Subject: <ghep>: word in itself?
>Date: 95-01-07 10:31:05 EST
>From: [email protected] (Silauren, Half-Elven)

[...]
>TKD gives <nenghep> for "Age of Ascension" and <peHghep> for "Age of
>Inclusion".  it also gives <nentay> for "Rite of Ascension".  also, <tay>
>is given in the 2nd-edition's appendix as "rite, ritual, ceremony".
>this leads me to think that "age" (at least, in a historical time-period
>sense) is <ghep>.

No, the term "age" in "Age of Ascension" refers to the appropriate age a
person reaches in order to undergo the Rite of Ascension. So even if {ghep}
were a term by itself, it would be the age of a person, not a historical
period (for which we already have {bov}).

>my question is, does anyone know of any *canon* sites that *explicitly*
>define (or even mention!) <ghep> by itself?  or can we only explain it
>only as an archaic form that happens to still exist in the two above
>compounds, but by itself has ceased to exist?

Without canon examples, it would not be right to consider it a word by
itself, because it may an archaic word that is only used today in these two
compounds.

Guido

Back to archive top level