tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 27 10:24:03 1995

Re: I saw him in the ship

According to [email protected]:

> What I really want now, after reading your flaming of TKD "early"
> developments making us wince is:  An authoritative grammar book, course,
> tape, etc. of the Klingon language.  Please tell me the price, availability,
> and ordering information.  I will start the "real" language as soon as
> possible.

Two audiotapes are available, usually from the same sources as
TKD, since they are put out by the same publisher.
Conversational Klingon and Power Klingon are the names of these
tapes. Each has mistakes on them as well, as do most sources
that come from Okrand, but the majority of the stuff is good.
You get to hear Okrand speak the language, which he does quite
well, to help with pronunciation, you get better descriptions
of certain aspects of the language, you get cultural insights
and more than a little excellent humor.

You also should subscribe to HolQeD, the quarterly newsletter
of the Klingon Language Institute, sponsor of this mailing
list. Lawrence Schoen will have to give you details on that,
since I am in unusual circumstances and do not have the details
on that with me.

KLI also has a free postal course, originally created by David
Barron, though I believe that distribution is now through KLI.
You can see details about that on David's sig whenever he posts.

Sorry for what you perceived as a flame. Most new Klingonists
fail to use the perfective properly and for those who have been
working with the language for a long time, the perpetual
repeating of the explanation of that aspect of the grammar is
executed with more patience on some days than others.

I don't want anybody to feel bad. I just want people to be
clear on how to use the perfective. At this point, I am secure
that my interpretation of the meaning of the perfective is not
just my opinion. It is pretty much in line with the vast
majority of experienced Klingon speakers. There are exceptions,
like Glen Proechel, who are simply wrong.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \