tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 26 10:29:54 1995

Re: Strange New World Book

Andrew Marquardt wrote:
>I am really baffled by the idea of translating the human bible into Klingon...

It's a historical thing, Andrew.  The Bible has been translated into nearly
every language on Earth.  In reality, Klingon is just another human language.
If your objection is that the "human bible" is irrelevant to Klingon culture,
then you should be equally baffled by the Chinese and Cherokee translations.
Your ethnocentrism is showing, by the way -- we're talking about the Christian
Bible here, not some "human" one.

>I mean to say what relavance does the bible of humans have to do w/ klingons,
>shouldn't a klingon bible speak of klingon rites, and ceromonies ?

Yes, a "Klingon bible" would speak of things Klingon.  Perhaps someday there
will be enough Klingon theology around that a Klingon "bible" could be done.
Right now, we know little about Kahless, and less about Klingon spiritual
beliefs.  But that's not the point.  The point is that the translation of the
Bible just has to be done.  If you don't find that immediately obvious, then
it's going to be hard to convince you logically.

What point was there in translating the Koran into English?  Why should anyone
have bothered to translate Inuit legends into French?  If you're going to insist
on an explanation that makes sense in the context of the Star Trek universe,
then consider Klingon students of humanity.  They'll want to read our history,
our literature, and our theologies.  The Bible involves all three.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level