tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 24 04:49:46 1995

-neS

 uu> From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <ur-valhalla!cs.columbia.edu!shoulson>
 uu> Subject: -neS

 >I prefer the more context sensative translation of his TKD examples.
 >It also seems to me that {-neS} used that way would only apply to verbs
 >that take an object (even though it doesn't explicitly state that in TKD).

 uu> Not so.  What do objects have to do with anything?  Even in the "your
 uu> honor" mode, you can have that without objects.  Note canon
 uu> counterexamples: "DojneS mIplIj"/"Your wealth is impressive (your

Umm... ummm..   HIvqa' veqlargh!

 uu> Note, too, that the person addressed has very little place in
 uu> these sentences.

Perhaps that's what threw me off.  This suffix is used only in direct
conversation... even if the sentence has nothing to do with the listener.

 uu> I'd bet that you could even say something like "QIpneS
 uu> loDnI'wI'" for "my brother is stupid, your honor" (or rather "my
 uu> brother is stupid" spoken respectfully to the hearer).

In retrospect, I think what bothers me most is that tacking "your honor" onto
a sentence is just too easy.  Something inside me wants to make this a
complicated thing, and force the English into a convoluted mess.  On glancing
at the examples alone, I would have tried to make {QIpneS loDnI'wI'} into
something like "My brother has the honor of being stupid", but that's not what
it's all about, is it?  Perhaps instead of "honorific", Okrand should have
defined {-neS} as "deference marker".

In any case, I have something new to think about.

Qob

... We now return to BATTLECRUISER: VENGEANCE, already in progress.

Back to archive top level