tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 24 04:49:37 1995

vaj

 uu> From: "William H. Martin" <ur-valhalla!jm.acs.virginia.edu!whm2m>
 uu> Subject: vaj

 > I see {vaj} in this way:  If you are using an IF-THEN construction with
 > {-chugh}, {vaj} is really not necessary.  The "then" is not needed in Hol.

 uu> This is your own personal conclusion, probably based more upon
 uu> your use of English than on any canon examples. There are
 uu> certainly canon examples that DO use {vaj} in an if/then
 uu> construction. This is my point, which you seem to have missed.

My apologies...  I should have been clearer in what I was trying to say.  I
know of the existance of the canon examples.  What I was looking at was the
definition of {-chugh} itself, and the examples in section 6.2.2.  To me, it
seems more "Klingon" *not* to use the {vaj} to explicitly mark the "then"
clause, since {vaj} is not mandated when using {-chugh}.  To me, the use of
{vaj} forces the Hol text to more closely resemble English.  Yes, it's my
personal conclusion, but based not so much on my use of English (which almost
always explicitly marks the "then") but on my knowledge of computer
programming languages (some of which DO NOT USE "then" in an IF-THEN
construction, but rely on position).

I have no problem accepting the use of {vaj} in these cases; however, I tend
not to use it myself unless for emphasis.

Qob

+ Sogh Qob vestai-qutvaj    Second Officer, Communications Officer    +
+                           IKV Crystal Dagger                        +
+ KLI member since 1994!    Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG   +
+ Internet: [email protected]        +
+ Fidonet : Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701                      +

... "chomuv." - rIqer  "qatoy'neS" - worv

Back to archive top level