tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 06 14:03:14 1995

Re: *Esquire magazine*Daq tlhIngan Hol vIlaD!

According to Silauren, Half-Elven:
>    "toH qo' muSHa'qu'mo joH'a', wa' puqloDDaj nobpu' ghaH 'ej ghaH
>     Harchugh vay', vaj not Hegh ghaH, 'ach yIn jub ghajbej ghaH.""
>

> ....just a little blurb, but i thought i'd pass it on... btw, any typos
> in the Klingon above is Esquire's fault, not mine (its exactly as Esquire
> printed it, minus their formatting...)

No typos that I can see. In fact, it is so clearly written I
could sight read it, only needing to look up {jub}, since I
don't use that word very often. For the curious, it means, "So
because the Lord (joH'a') very much loved the world, he had
given his one son, and if anybody believed him, then he will
never die, but he will definitely possess immortal life."

I think the perfective is a mistake here, once again used to
represent what was intended as a common past tense, and I think
it would be better to say {puqloDDaj neH nob ghaH}, since {wa'
puqloDDaj} could easily mean "one of his sons" instead of "his
only son". I also think this is an expansion of the verb {Har},
since the Christian use of the verb "believe" is rather
strange. I think the original is something like, "and whosoever
believes in him" and I defy ANYBODY to explain what that means
in plain, secular English. As a verb, it is mystical and
symbolic, having little to do with the normal meanings of the
verb "believe".

This doesn't mean I want to be involved in KBTP. To be honest,
I don't believe that particular work should have ever been
translated into English, given that many of the English words
used there were never intended to convey the ideas there
assigned to them. "Believe" is just one example. It was
similarly translated into Cherokee, which required even MORE
twisting of existing words beyond the bounds of their original
meaning. Now, going to Klingon...

Well, others are behind it, so I support their efforts, though
I do not wish to contribute to them, except perhaps sometimes
to wince when a blurb like this appears before me unexpectedly.

> --naQ'avwI'

charghwI'
--

 \___