tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 01 19:25:27 1995

Re: Spoonerism.

According to Joel Anderson:

> I don't claim this as a "good" spoonerism... but spoonerisms aren't
> always good English, either.

Well, the Spoonerism works, though it doesn't quite mean what
you take it to mean, so maybe if you change the story a
little...

> ---
>
> There was once a very timid, nebbishy little Klingon - kind of a
> Klingon Barclay, if you will.  Once, when he was in his cups, he
> nervously told a fellow warrior that when he was nervous he screamed.
> Hard as this was to confess he meant to say:
>
> 	boH'a'  vIjach
>
> But instead stammered out:
>
> 	joH'a' vIbach
>
> Claiming to have shot the great lord he immediately was hailed as a
> mighty warrior and eventually became the head of a great house.  Sort
> of a Klingon "little tailor".

Well, the first sentence means, "I screamed, 'Is he
impatient?'" Perhaps if the story went something like:

Once a timid (etc.) was chased out of town by an angry mob
because he yelled a disrespectful question about one of their
leading citizens, whose honor was beyond question. When a
friend, who met him as he was exiting, asked him what he had
done to fire up the townspeople to such a degree, he
explained...

And, of course, as he attempts to describe how he yelled, "Is
he impatient?", he instead convinced his friend that he had
fired upon a powerful leader. Tales of his boldness spread
widely after that...

charghwI'
--

 \___