tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 31 13:34:29 1995

Re[2]: }} jIjot 'ej jIQuch

On Thu, 31 Aug 1995 ~mark wrote:

>><bang vIHot> jal ghotpu'
>
>>(That's the closest I could get to, "People will say you're in love.")
>
>I don't think I can accept this.  Well, let's start with one small point of
>confusion: I don't see "jal" anywhere.  What is it?

My fault.  It was supposed to be <ja'>

>Maybe it's missing from my lookup.  I presume it means "say, gossip" (joS?),

Can <joS> be used as "say"? (Or are you trying to put a meaning to my typo?)

>in which case it would mean "People will say 'I'm in love'", i.e. each person
>will claim he/she is in love, not that you, the addressee, is.

That makes sense.

<snip>

>So "Hot" to me seems to be the physical act of touching something, or to
>feel something *in the sense* of putting your finger on it to determine
>what it feels like.  It doesn't seem to be "to sense internally" (lolAad in
>lAadan, a very useful word).

What are you talking about?  Is that another language?

>I've often wished for a good word for lolAad
>in Klingon, but the closest we have to me seems to be "SIQ", which, I must
>admit, has a certain appeal to it.  Or maybe "bech".

Hmm, had some bad loves hunh? :-)

>Similarly, we (as opposed to Glen Proechel, who has decided to interpret
>things differently) have generally understood "bang" to be a *person*, not
>an emotion.  That is "bang" means "love, *as in* my love, the person who is
>loved" and not "love" the abstract emotion.  Note the canon use, where
>valQIS calls whatsisname (Qugh?) "bangwI'"/my love.

Hadn't heard that before.

>Maybe "bang Daghaj net Har"/it will be believed that you have a beloved.  I
>like the way that uses "net" (that's really what you wanted with your
>"ghotpu'", if you think about it, I think), but it stretches "ghaj" a
>little.  Then again, "ghaj" is already pretty stretched.

Since I'm quoting a song lyric, I'd still rather have people in there somewhere.

How about

bang Daghaj 'e' Harqang ghotpu'.
(People are willing to believe you have a beloved.)

or

bang Daghaj 'e' joSqang ghotpu'
(People are willing to gossip that you have a beloved.)

I have a feeling something is wrong here.  Gossip can't take an object.  Can
<joS> be translated as "gossip about"? (I don't think it can.)  If not, what can
you do for prepositions? (Just avoid them, right?)

BTW, what's the difference between 'e' & net?

>~mark

r'Hul

Back to archive top level