tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 22:04:36 1995

Re: }} KLBC: Adjective help.

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Yes, I know there are no adjectives in tlhIngan Hol.  But TKD is not to
> clear in Section 4.4 how those fragments are used in a sentence.

You use them in the same place you would use regular noun.

vavDaj Dargh tujDaq vetlh tIn lan puq Dogh.  (The foolish child put a big
cockroach in her father's hot tea.)

> A friend of mine wanted to add, to a story she is writing, "Stop acting
> like a foolish child."  I tried to talk her into just using, "Stop acting
> like a child."  But she really wants "foolish".
>
> The only thing I could think of was:
>
> puq Dogh. puq DaDa 'e' yImev.

That says, "Foolish child.  Stop behaving like a child."  You could just
simply say {puq Dogh DaD 'e' yImev} (Stop behaving like a foolish child).

> Is it possible to do:
>
> puq Dogh 'e' DaDa 'e' yImev.
>
> That just feels weird.

It's ungrammatical because only a complete sentence can be the object of
{'e'} and {puq Dogh} (foolish child) is not a complete sentence.

> r'Hul

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level