tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 13:48:15 1995

Re: }} KLBC: Adjective help.

ARRRGH! Aplogies to yoDtargh. I can't help myself.

According to [email protected]:

> Yes, I know there are no adjectives in tlhIngan Hol.  But TKD is not to clear in
> Section 4.4 how those fragments are used in a sentence.

You use the modified noun just like an unmodified noun. Just
put the two words in the place where one word would normally go.

> A friend of mine wanted to add, to a story she is writing, "Stop acting like a
> foolish child."  I tried to talk her into just using, "Stop acting like a
> child."  But she really wants "foolish".

She can definitely have what she wants.

> The only thing I could think of was:
>
> puq Dogh. puq DaDa 'e' yImev.

Not good.

> Is it possible to do:
>
> puq Dogh 'e' DaDa 'e' yImev.

Get rid of the first {'e'} and you've got yourself an excellent
sentence. When you use a stative verb adjectivally (like you
are doing with {puq Dogh}, it is acting like an adjective
modifying the noun. It is not acting like a verb, so it is not
a sentence, so you don't have to refer to it with the pronoun
{'e'}. {puq} is the object of {DaDa}. {puq Dogh} fits in the
same place in a sentence as {puq} alone.

> That just feels weird.
>
> r'Hul

You were VERY close. That's why I couldn't wait for yoDtargh to
comment. You were SO close...

charghwI'
--

 \___