tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 24 14:58:23 1995

Re: }} Sov vs. ghov

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995 David Barron wrote:

> On 08-24-95 [email protected] wrote to [email protected]...

(Automatic program eh?)

> k > On the cassete tape is the sentence
> k > Do you know anyone on Cronos?
> k > Qo'noSDaq vay' DaSov'a'
> k > Should this be Qo'noSDaq vay' Daghov'a'?

>This is an interesting point.
>{ghov} may be less ambiguous.

>In Esperanto there are two verbs for "know":  [scias] for knowing
>information and [konas] for knowing a person. (I hope I dont have
>these two verbs mixup.)

Same thing in French.  I remember giggling in my high school class about using
the wrong "to know".  If you use the object version on a person, it means you
know them in the biblical sense.

>There is no evidence that Klingon makes this type of distinction and
>scence it *is* on the tape it's now canon.

Besides, <ghov> is "recognize" not "know".  "Do you recognize anyone on Kronos?"
 sounds like an intergalactic lineup.  ("Could number 4 please step forward and
say 'nuq neH'.")

>So be it.

> k >
> k > peHruS
>
>david
>aka DaraQ
>---
> * OFFLINE 1.58 * Se esperanto placxas vin vi amegos tlhIngan Hol-on.

nuq?

r'Hul

Back to archive top level