tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 23 19:56:52 1995

Re: }} Dancing. was Re: Klin to Bermuda

~markvo':

>I tend to view the difference between a compound word and a
>noun-noun construction to be very small, if present at all.

I disagree strongly.  I think there's a sharp difference.  There appears to
be some overlap, I admit, but there are some canon uses of compound nouns
which could not be meaningful as N1-N2 constructions (construct states).

compare:

mu'tlhegh     *mu' tlhegh
'Iwghargh    *'Iw ghargh

Some people may have found my article to be a trivial exercise, since it had
little practical value.  I wasn't proposing some wild twist of the grammar,
or completely new construction, to try to make the language more
English-like, or to admit a broader range of constructions, for example.  I
didn't give people new tools to use the language.  But there's strong
evidence that N1-N2s are not trivially like compounds, and I find this of
much more use than finding unique ways to say "good day to die."  It is, at
the very least, linguistically interesting.

If you have some evidence I didn't consider, which suggests they're
qualitatively the same, I'd like to see it.  You rarely make statements like
this without having something in mind to back it up.  ;)

--Holtej

Back to archive top level