tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 23 18:25:56 1995

}} The pending return of KLI.ORG...

Wow, it's amazing how "two weeks" can turn into half a lifetime when you're
dealing with something that REALLY needs to be up, isn't it?

For those that don't know me (or don't remember), I'm the administrator
of KLI.ORG, the Klingon Language Institute's site on the net. For you today,
I have a status update on the site, a few ETAs, and a bit of a plea for
all those who just haven't given enough to the KLI recently. :)

At the moment, the main thing barring the KLI from returning fully to
the internet is lack of bandwidth -- I'm on a 28.8 dialup line that
seldom does more than 21.6... This is, as you can guess, hardly what it
takes to run an active site.

That being said, the KLI.ORG web pages (minus the FTP site) are now
back online, on an almost full-time (down only when my machine room gets
too hot) basis, at /.

The MUSH is now back online... Telnet to keve.kli.org 2218

The FTP site is _down_ until we get more bandwidth -- See below.

The mailing list -- The mailing list is at a point where I can put it back
online with minimal trouble. At the moment, though, it hasn't gone back
online due to the HUGE mess that's going to be created by the switchover,
which I'm not willing to deal with at this point in time. If I'm up to
things this weekend, I'll try to bring the propper mailing list online.

Now, for the plea part:

I have on order a high-speed dedicated line to my apartment, to solve the
bandwidth problem for not only the KLI, but myself also. My problem is,
is that unless I skip out on my bills, I won't be able to pay the initial
($2000) install cost to NETCOM until September 6th, while the line is
due on September 5th. This basically means that I can pay Netcom the install
cost on September 6th, but won't be able to get things online until I get
the equipment I need from NETCOM -- About a week after I pay for it.

What I'd like, is for some kind soul out there to put my initial install cost
on their credit card, this week, so that I can get the hardware I'll need
ahead of time, and be able to have KLI.ORG online fully on September 5th.
In return, I'll send this person a check for $2100 (I figure a small bonus
is in order), post-dated to September 6th, AND buy the person a lifetime
membership in the KLI.

Yes, I realize this is a bit far-fetched, but it's worth a try to get things
up and running that much sooner. Let me restate, just to avoid ruffling
Lawrence's feathers, that this is NOT an official KLI anything, it's my
PRIVATE dedicated link that the KLI will just happen to be hanging off of.

If anyone's interested, mail me -- [email protected]. For those not
interested, keep your eyes peeled for the rest of KLI.ORG to return
shortly...

									-WW

Back to archive top level