tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 17 06:24:41 1995

}} A Q law' B Q puS

In TKD 6.6. it says that "A and B are the two things being compared".
What exactly qualifies as a "thing"?

Until I saw ST6, I was under the impression that only nouns (or pronouns)
could be compared, but I'm quite positive that in the scene where Azetbur's
generals are trying to convince her that it would be better to start a war,
brigadier Kerla, his lines being "Better to die on our feet, than living on
our knees...!", says, although badly pronouncing, {QamvIS Hegh QaQ law'
torvIS yIn QaQ puS}.

How am I to interpret this? Is a clause allowed inside the construction
or does -vIS without -taH work in the manner of -meH?

(ie. {ja'chuqmeH rojHom} = A truce in order to confer =>
     {QamvIS Hegh}       = Death while standing?)

I would assume that the -meH thing would fit fine inside law'/puS.

What else is allowed? Adverbials? Verbs? (Are Hegh & yIn verbs or
nouns in Kerla's sentence?) Whole sentences, perhaps?

Summaring everything in a single sentence, is it legal to say

{batlh Hegh QaQ law' QIt ramchoH QaQ puS} for
"It's better to die with honor than slowly become irrelevant"

Back to archive top level