tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 17 07:35:20 1995

Re: }} charghwI' writes his first poem

ghItlh yoDtargh

> "The feet of the animal which killed him" is ambiguous in English; either
> the feet or the animal could be the agent of the killing.  But in Klingon,
> you can disambiguate the two by using the correct verb prefix:
>
> HoHbogh Ha'DIbaH qamDu'		The animal is doing the killing
> luHoHbogh Ha'DIbaH qamDu'	The feet are doing the killing
>
> However, if both nouns were singular or plural, then the Klingon
> would be just as ambiguous as the English.  In such a case,
> charghwI' has suggested putting {-'e'} on whichever noun is the true
> head noun of the clause.  But currently, the rules say you can't put
> {-'e'} on the first noun of a N-N construction.  Whether or not it is
> acceptable to put {-'e'} on the first noun of a N-N construction when it
> is the head noun of relative clause is one of the questions we put on a
> list to ask Dr. Okrand at the qep'a'.
>
> yoDtargh

thank you very much. and sorry that I scrambled the affixes :(
I was just unattentive... somewhat fascinated by the new
possibilities with the use of V-bogh as a noun modifier.
(I'm still somewhat pessimistic though: I'm not sure about
-be' on attributive verbs, as for TKD, it doesn't allow it;
and now, can we say tInbe'bogh Duj instead of *(?)Duj tInbe'?
Are V-bogh modifiers allowed on nouns in comparatives?)

				Marc 'Dochlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany