tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 14 09:23:23 1995

Re: }} Upload vs. download

According to Alan Anderson:

> [email protected] writes:
> >I'm sorry, but I've forgotten what was decided as regards which Hol verb
> >means "upload" and which means "download"  Please help.
>
> I'm not familiar with the decision you refer to, but I would use {lI'} for
> upload, and {labmoH} for download.  Since {lab} is transitive, {labmoH}
> could easily be "bitransitive", so I wouldn't easily be able to specify
> what I was causing the remote system to transmit.  I guess I would have to
> use the {lab 'e' qaSmoH} copout.

Judging from its use in ST3, I think you have these backwards.
{lI'} = transmit data (to a place). That is to receive or
download. It is confusing the way it is stated, since both
uploading and downloading can be interpreted as transmitting to
a place. The point is, the place in question is the place you
are sitting, so to transmit to a place is to download or
receive. Kruge uses the verb {lI'} as he tells his crew member
to receive the Genesis Data.

{lab} = transmit data (away from a place). That is to send or
upload. Again, the place in question is the place you are
sitting. Valkris uses the verb {lab} in her bizarre statement
about the transmitting device completing the act of sending
itself.

>  -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'
--