tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 10 00:42:30 1995

}} Re: your mail

janSIy writes:
>Except to me, "nuqneH" says something like, "whatdayawant?"

I get that impression from it also.

>For, "What do YOU want?" I would say, "nuq DaneH SoH"
>And since "nuqneH" is not used to greet someone, but rather to get their
>attention, I would count it as a hail not a greeting.

Contrariwise, I think its appropriate usage IS to acknowledge or "greet"
someone, and NOT to get his/her attention.  Would you approach your
neighbor intending to begin a conversation and start by saying {nuqneH}?
Or would you acknowledge your neighbor's approach by asking {nuqneH}?  The
latter sounds more reasonable to me.

 -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level