tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 11:06:13 1995

Re[8]: }}} Dialects (was:...

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995 [email protected] wrote:

>I wrote:
>>Try instead "emperor's female" and it sounds much better.  Remember that
>>Klingon puts two nouns together to indicate a possessive construction.

>r'Hul writes:
>>Where does TKD say that?  According to page 19 a compound noun is just a
>>compound noun.  <ta'be'> is a compound noun.  <ta' be'> is possessive.  Then I
>>would accept it.

>Check TKD section 3.4, pages 30-31, where it actually describes how to
>translate the compound nouns mentioned in section 3.2.1, page 19:  "...this
>is the Klingon possessive construction...."

I read and reread that section.  But that is not what it says.  Section 3.4 is
for *other* compound nouns than the ones discussed in 3.2.1.  ("In addition...")
 If you look at the examples on page 31, the nouns are not joined.  So two nouns
together is a compound noun.  Two nouns in a row are possesive.  <ta'be'>
emperor female.  <ta'_be'> emperor's female.

 >-- ghunchu'wI'

r'Hul

Back to archive top level