tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 10 01:51:19 1995

Re: Re[8]: }}} Dialects (was:...

>Wait a second.  <tuHmoH> is the verb "to shame".  I can't believe that you
>break
>up words.  I didn't want to say "You cause yourself to be ashamed."

<tuHmoH> is a whole word only in the English translation.  In Klingon it is a
Verb plus a Suffix and the suffixes MUST be affixed in the specified order.

Well, there are a number of <-moH> "words" in TKD.  All of them logically are
Klingon verb stems plus the suffix.  Although I noticed this construction
early in my study of the Klingon language, I can definitely see the confusion
if all we have is TKD.  We need to realize HOW the words got constructed in
the first place.

In German there exist separable and inseparable verbs.  We again need to
realize while learning German that a separable verb entry in the dictionary
still gets its parts separated by the bulk of the sentence.

HochvaD Qapla'

peHruS

Back to archive top level