tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 08 23:44:15 1995

Re: }} {-wI'} on sentences

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> gheyIl writes:
> >I might be convinced that the verb in question could have
> >an object, but then it would seem an awful lot like a N-N
> >construction, although not a "possessive" construction.
>
> My argument exactly: it SEEMS like a N-N construction, but because N-N is
> supposed to be simply "possessive", it makes sense to consider instead that
> {-wI'} can act on a verb which has an object.

When I hear the suggestion that a verb with an object can take -wI' I ask
myself, "Then what's -bogh for?"  But there is an argument that such
examples already exist.  How do we know that these AREN'T N-N
constructions?  I would like to see explanations (from both sides) of how
these examples work in YOUR theory.  (I know some have been presented,
but I would like to see more and I would like to see comments from both
sides.)  When using canon examples, please reference.  And when using
theoretical examples, please mark them as such.

janSIy

Back to archive top level