tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 00:47:28 1995

Re: }} Need some advice..

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Jim Boniface wrote:

>  I saw a t-shirt the other day, with a saying on it that I thought would be
> great for the back of my Klingon paintball shirt, the saying is "Do not
> greet Death, punch him repeatedly in the throat as he drags you away", Now,
> I realize this is going to be a tough for me to translate, but I would like
> to do give it a try (PLEASE do not translate this for me) But I would like
> to know how some of you would START this, as I'm sure the majority of you
> know, I have a hard time reckonizing clauses and such, if someone could
> point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
>    Of course, I'll need more advice along the way. }}}:-]

The tricky part is that Klingon apparantly does not have a word for "greet".
I would use something like "hail" instead.

I think the Klingon translation would be two sentences, and would
literally translate as something like, "Don't hail Death.  Continually
hit him while he takes you away."

The first sentence would use an imperative verb prefix and a locative
noun suffix.  The second sentence would have an imperative verb and a
subordinate clause attached.

Read sections 4.1.2, (imperatives) 4.2.7 (expecially the part about
continous or ongoing actions), 4.3, (negating an imperative) & 6.2.2
(subordinate clauses) first.

If you don't come up with a good translation after all these hints, I may
punch you repeatedly while they drag you away.  {{:-)

> Jim

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level