tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 01 09:40:05 1995

Re: }} -mo' and N1's N2

tlheghmeQ screams in utter frustration. She rips from the hands of a
startled friend a booklet entitled "Managing Stress on Campus" and tears
it to shreds. ;)

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >From: "Elizabeth C. Hoyt" <[email protected]>
>
> >jIwuQmo' juHDaq vIjaH.
> >Because I had a headache, I went home.
>
> jIjaH would be better, since "jaH" in this sentence has no object.  juH is
> not its object, since it's got -Daq on it, so it's a locative complement,
> not an object.

gotcha.

> >*Tylenolmo' 'oy' nachwIj 'e' mev.
> >Due to Tylenol, my head stopped hurting.

[Snip]
> (maybe I paid someone with tylenol to make my head stop hurting).
:D

> You could say "'oy' nachwIj 'e' mev *Tylenol*", but that doesn't provide a
> "-mo'" example.  How about: *Tylenol*mo' 'oy'be'choH nachwIj.  Due to the
> Tylenol, my head started not-hurting.

"not-hurting" hmmm...yeah, I keep forgetting about {-be'}

> >And some noun-noun things:
>
> You have just about all of these backwards; [Snip]

Ok, I think you finally got this pounded through my thick forehead
yesterday afternoon. N1 possesses N2. You're talking about a type of N2.
Do not confuse N1 for an adjective.

So {paq ngaSwI'} works for book container, but NOT {nav paq} for a book
made of paper.

> How to say it without using N-N?  Tough.  Maybe "yIH'e' chenmoHbogh yuch",
> or in a separate sentence: "yIH'e' chenmoHlu'meH yuch lo'lu'" and then just
> referring to it as "yIH".

chocolate, which causes the tribble to take form
someone/something uses chocolate for causing the tribble to take form

Tough is right.

Wait! Do you have to use {chen}? How about {yuch'e' 'oH yIH}?

> ~mark

Peace and Long Life 'ej Qapla'
Liz (tlheghmeQ joq)

Back to archive top level