tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 28 21:09:51 1995

Re: Adjectives + Rovers

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Although we are permitted to say <machbe'>, we are not permitted to say
> <yotlh machbe'Daq> because TKD p50 Sec. 4.4 says that <-qu'> is the only verb
> suffix allowed when a Type 5 noun suffix is added.
>
> Personally, I am sticking my neck out.  I feel that the verb suffix rover
> <-be'> is just as logical an addition to the [stative] verb.  However, I
> certainly will not go against TKD's injunction.

I agree with you on this point.  I think also think it is logical and
unambiguous.

Although TKD indicates we can only add {-qu'} to a verb when it is used
adjectivally, on the CK tape, we do have the phrase {wa'maH yIH lI'be'}
(ten useless tribbles).

We don't have any official confirmation that you can put {-be'} on a verb
when it is adjectivally, but, on the other hand, I'm not going to flame
you if you decide to do this.

> peHruS

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level