tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 28 20:06:52 1995

Re: Thereupon.....

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Most of the time I see <vaj> used as "since, so, accordingly, then."  I still
> want to be able to express "thereupon, thereafter, then."
>
> I saw the officer, thence I went to the bridge.
>
> yaS vIleghpu' vaj (???) meH vIghoS

I would translate "thence" (from that, for that reason, therefore) by using
{-mo'}:  yaS vIleghpu'mo' meH vIghoS.  (From having seen the officer,
I go to the bridge) or (Due to having seen the officer, I went to the
bridge) or (Because I had seen the officer, I went to the bridge)

For "thereafter", I would use {-pu'DI'}:  {yaS vIleghpu'DI' meH vIghoS}
(When I have seen the officer, I go to the bridge) or (After I had seen
the officer I went to the bridge).

As for "thereupon" (immediately after that) I would use a combination of
{-pu'DI'} and {SIbI'}:  {yaS vIleghpu'DI' SIbI' meH vIghoS} (When I have
seen the officer, I immediately go to the bridge) or (After I had seen the
officer, I immediately went to the bridge).

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level