tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 30 08:35:54 1995

Re: Thereupon.....

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Most of the time I see <vaj> used as "since, so, accordingly, then."  I still
> > want to be able to express "thereupon, thereafter, then."
> >
> > I saw the officer, thence I went to the bridge.
> >
> > yaS vIleghpu' vaj (???) meH vIghoS

In addition to yoDtargh's excellent suggestions, yet another
tool would be:

meH vIghoSpa' yaS vIleghpu'.

I have seen {vaj} used for the sequential "then" and have even
used it that way myself, though that is probably sloppy and
might sound quite strange to a native speaker. It is good of
you to take note of this. It might inspire all of us to form
better translations of this concept.

charghwI'
--

 \___