tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 28 03:11:00 1995

transitive?!? (was Re: bIjatlh 'e' yImev)

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> {'e'} is a pronoun which refers the previous sentence (not just those
> pertaining to speech or knowledge).  The verb which uses {'e'} as an
> object needs to be a transitive verb.
[...snip...]
> I read this as "Worf participates that Maltz and Mara play the ball".
>
> The first problem is that {jeS} is not clearly a transitive verb.

sorry if this has been hashed-to-death previously.  i don't understand
the terms "transitive" and "intransitive", particularly when applied to
currently-known Klingon verbs.  i vaguely remember the distinction in my
high-school Latin class, but those were too long ago and i don't remember
what the distinction was or why it was important.  could someone please
explain (in layman's terms, as i'm not a linguist ... yet)???

> yoDtargh

--naQ'avwI'

*&* <yIqIm!  *'InIgo' *montoy'a 'oH pongwIj'e'.    *&* Silauren, Half-Elven
*&*         vavwI' DaHoHta'.  yIHeghrup.>          *&* naQ'avwI'
*&*                     --from the Princess Bride  *&* [email protected]
*&* There's only ONE god!  He is the SUN god!  RA!  RA!  RA!!!

Back to archive top level