tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 27 06:06:43 1995

Re: Adverbial Concepts

According to Silauren, Half-Elven:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 1995, William H. Martin wrote:
>
> > The general rule is that in Klingon, verbs roots are always
> > monosyllabic. Nouns and chuvmey may become polysyllabic, but
> > not verbs. I know of no exceptions.
>
> hrm... i remember from my Klingon class that there was one or two
> exceptions to this rule, but offhand i don't know what they are.
> glancing through a list of verbs from class notes, i see the verb
> {Qapla'} (v, win)...

The verb for "win" is {Qap}. The noun for "success" is
{Qapla'}. The only polysyllabic verbs in TKD are monosyllabic
verb stems with standard verb suffixes. These entries exist
apparently because the specific meanings of these specific verbs
with these suffixes may be slightly different than one might
otherwise expect. It is good to see how some of these suffixes
are used in these examples.

Still, I am relatively certain that there are no polysyllabic
verb stems in Klingon, and I've typed the entire dictionary
into my word processor once, and then copied (a word at a time)
all the listings from it into my data base program, so my
familiarity with the vocabulary is pretty good. There are
others here who dwarf this effort. I know ~mark has manually
entered the entire manuscript several times, since he keeps
buying new PDAs and manually reentering the dictionary. I fully
expect to see him at qep'a' with the entire dictionary entered
into his watch. [That's a joke, okay?]

Anyway, I highly recommend this practice of rewriting the
dictionary. Doing so makes you notice things like the
monosyllabic nature of verbs, the discrepancies between the
English/Klingon and Klingon/English sides of the dictionary and
it results in a single word list with all the words on it.

> > charghwI'
>
> --naQ'avwI'
>
> *&* <yIqIm!  *'InIgo' *montoy'a 'oH pongwIj'e'.    *&* Silauren, Half-Elven
> *&*         vavwI' DaHoHta'.  yIHeghrup.>          *&* naQ'avwI'
> *&*                     --from the Princess Bride  *&* [email protected]
> *&* There's only ONE god!  He is the SUN god!  RA!  RA!  RA!!!

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \