tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 20 07:28:50 1995

Re: Easter translation

>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 16:52:30 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>> Major quibble:  {allelu'ya} is definitely not pronounced the way
>> "Alleluia" is.

>For one thing, it starts with a vowel, which is not kosher in either Klingon
>or Hebrew.  And that glottal stop seems gratuitous.  ~mark, what's the exact
>Hebrew form?

The Hebrew is "hal'luyah", with an h at the beginning.  Argh, I don't have
a text with me to verify the precise pointing, but I think I can work it
out grammatically.

"Hal'luyah" is a compound of "Hal'lu" + "yah".  The first word is a plural
command: "Praise!"  I believe it's spelled h, then "a" (qamatz), then l
(single l), then a "moving" shwa (i.e. sounded, not silent), then another l
and u.  "Yah" is a name of God, a contraction of the tetragrammaton.  It's
spelled "y" and "a" (qamatz), followed by a *consonantal* h.  The final h
in this word (unlike most in Hebrew) is *pronounced* (and written with a
dot in it).

>> That {ll} is pretty weird.

>No, it's correct.

I'm pretty sure the Hebrew "l" is not doubled (aside from the fact that
there's a second after the shwa).

>> How is it pronounced in Latin - {QIySto}?  Or, better, in Greek?

>{QIStUS} and {QIStoS}, respectively, and it means `anointed one'.

So why not {maSIyaH}?

>--'Iwvan

~mark

Back to archive top level