tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 18 06:08:26 1995

Re: KLBC: About Klingon

According to R.B Franklin:

> Mon, 17 Apr 1995 ghItlh toDbaj:

> > tlhIngan Hol 'oghta' Marc Okrand. mu' puS neH 'oghta'be', 'ach Hol naQ
> > 'oghta'.
>
> Ah, this is better.  Only one minor thing here, I would say {'oghbe'ta'}
> instead of {'oghta'be'}.
>
> > -- toDbaj
>
> yoDtargh

Hmm. I'm not wild about either choice of words. We are flirting
with what I believe is an "irrealis" here. The meaning is close
to "He could have invented only a few words, but instead, he
devised an entire language." Meanwhile, the Klingon language
deals only with what happens, not what could have or would have
happened. There is no single device available to convey this in
Klingon.

The question becomes whether it is more appropriate to come up
with an inventive way to convey the "should" or "would" or just
drop the whole idea and state that Okrand invented an entire
language. Hmmm.

Okay:

*Paramount*vaD mu'mey puS 'oghnISta' *Okrand* 'ach quvqu'mo'
ghaH Hol naQ 'oghta' ghaH.

charghwI'
--

 \___