tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 06:53:08 1995

Re: jIghtaHvIS jIghItlh

According to Alan Anderson:
> me:       > ... *Daytona Beach*vaD *Indiana*vo' malenglI'.
> yoDtargh: > For physical locations, you would use {-Daq} instead of {-vaD}.
>
> I thought {-Daq} indicates where the action takes place.  I want to use
> "Daytona Beach" as a destination, not a location.  I'd appreciate a second
> (and third etc.) opinion on this point.

Second Opinion: He's right. {-Daq} basically means "at, to,
toward" or anything else that basically points to the space
occupied by the noun. The only spacial concept it doesn't cover
is "from", for which we have {-vo'}. Of course specialized
nouns cover areas somehow near, but when you point to the place
itself, you need {-Daq}.

The one exception is the verb {ghoS}, which usually has the
noun itself as its object, even when speaking of the location
of the noun. This is because {ghoS} implies a course and its
object simply means the noun one might use to indicate the
course. It is the noun associated with the course, most
commonly the destination, but not necessarily. It is one of the
more alien verbs requiring that you let go of English a little
more than most.

Meanwhile, in THIS case, yoDtargh is pretty undeniably right.
{-vaD} indicates that somehow Daytona is the beneficiary of
your action. With {leng}, you definitely wanted {-Daq}. Had you
used {ghoS}, you would probably use neither.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'
--

 \___