tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 11 12:29:24 1995

Re: -vaD vs. -Daq on pronouns

According to R.B Franklin:

> > DeSDaj Hom ghorlu'...
> > "Her arm's bone is broken..."
>
> I read that as "Her arm' bone breaks".  I think {DeSDaj Hom ghorlu'pu'}
> would be more clear.

While I completely agree on the Klingon solution, I don't think
this is the best English translation of the original. Because
of the dual-meanings of the verb "break" in English (transitive
and intransitive), your translation is technically right, but
possibly confusing to less experienced readers. "One breaks her
arm's bone" is perhaps less confusing.

As you recommend, adding the perfective helps because it
becomes, "One has broken her arm's bone," which is also
accurately translated as, "Her arm's bone is broken."

> > -- ghunchu'wI'
>
> yoDtargh

charghwI'
--