tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 07 10:19:54 1995

Re: Klingons' house

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Andrew Marquardt wrote:

> After seeing 'Redemption' again, I started to question whose house is it. The
> honor of the House of Mogh was restored in Redemption, but Mogh is dead.  (Mogh
> being Worf and Kurn's father).
>  Worf it the elder brother, but he serves in Star Fleet, so can it be called
> the House of Worf?  Or because his brother Kurn is a captan of a Bird of Prey
> is it correct to say the House of Kurn?

We just don't know enough to say exactly what constitutes a "House."
Maybe Worf does not actually meet the requirements to be called the head
of a House.  The title may require political power and/or land and property
holdings.

On the other hand, Worf does appear to be the head of their family.  Kurn
has deferred to Worf's will on several occasions because Worf was the
older brother.

> Also the Klingons view the family history and honor of a family as important.
> So wouldn't it be important that each House have an emblem that represents
> them?  Just like many families of Europeon countries had 'coats of arms' in the
> past and some still have.  Klingon's might refer to the symbols as the 'House
> of arms' or 'coats of the house'.  will write more buthave to go now..

Klingons occasionally do use some sort of family regalia.  In one episode,
a grown-up Alexander travelled from the future with a knife that was used
to kill Worf.  The knife bore symbols which represented the members of
Lursa's family.

> andrewm

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level